Re: Implicit assumptions in the latest discussions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Implicit assumptions in the latest discussions
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 20:41:10 +0300

> From: Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net>
> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 16:45:49 +0200
>
> > Thereʼs an effort underway already to port emacs to 'pure' gtk, which
> > allows running directly on Wayland. See eg
> > <https://github.com/fejfighter/emacs>.
>
> I know, and the effort has been undergoing for years now. What I am
> saying is that this effort should be probably prioritized and effort
> should be put into removing barriers for it to land in Emacs as soon as
> possible.

What kind of prioritization did you have in mind?  We don't have
developers queuing up to take up development tasks, and we have no
means of telling someone to do some job and not the other.  Emacs
development is driven by volunteers doing what they want when they
want it and when they have time.  There's no real resource management
issue here, because the resources we have cannot be managed.

We can only say that some feature would be important to have -- and
we've done so in this case.  We've also provided what I think was
constructive feedback to the person who works on this particular issue
when he asked for it.  That is about all we can do.