Re: Memory usage report

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Memory usage report
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 16:27:20 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> That helm cache is stored in a hash-table, AFAIU, in which case we
> should have seen that in the GC report.

But that wouldn't have helped anybody pinpoint the issue with Helm.

> But in all of the cases where people complained about such huge RSS,
> the GC report shows a very small Lisp memory usage, so that helm cache
> cannot be the culprit.  It's something else, whether related to
> helm-ff-keep-cached-candidates or some other feature.

I just gave you an example of the opposite, and then you say "in all of
the cases"?  I'm not sure what you are arguing here, or even why you are
arguing about this: Giving users a convenient way to examine (and rule
out) certain memory usage problems surely can't be bad in itself.