Re: auth-sources and EWW

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: auth-sources and EWW
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 15:32:58 +1000

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 18:19, Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:

    TVR> That's the problem, witness this cae:

    TVR> The name of the option is far removed from the place where the symptom
    TVR> manifests itself, you'd never make the connection unless you were very
    TVR> close to the code.

??? "When I use the network, this undesirable thing happens. Do I have any
customizations with the word 'network' in them?" -> 'network-stream-use-client-certificates'

I donʼt think the evidence supports your argument in this case.

I disagree. It wasn't as if Raman was getting a network error. He observed that auth-sources was being consulted whenever he visited an https URL. If I had noticed that behaviour, I would have looked for EWW settings and possibly auth-source ones and may have eventually got to the point of checking network options, but that would not have been the first place.

However, perhaps the key point to note here is that this was the user experience of an Emacs user who has extensive Elisp knowledge and has been using Emacs for around 30 years. What is the user experience for a new user or a far less experienced user?

--
regards,

Tim

--