Re: Testing redisplay code in batch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Testing redisplay code in batch
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 17:24:12 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 23:56:33 -0400
>
> So I'm ideally looking for a way to convince Emacs's internals to
> perform redisplay as if there were "real" windows.  I don't need to
> "see/display" the result, OTOH because I only need to test things like
> `window-start` and `window-end` after calling `redisplay`.

I think it is best to define the capabilities required from such a
test harness.  What you say about seems to hint that you only intend
to look at stuff exposed to Lisp.  If that is indeed the case, it
could be easier to provide, but many aspects of the display engine
cannot be tested this way, since only a small fraction of that is
exposed to Lisp.