Re:Re: How to deal with GPL paper when the contributer can not contact w

From: tumashu
Subject: Re:Re: How to deal with GPL paper when the contributer can not contact with?
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 12:07:06 +0800 (CST)

At 2020-09-25 10:40:39, "Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>      When I move ivy-posframe (https://github.com/tumashu/ivy-posframe) to
>> gnu-elpa,
>> I can not contact with a contributer , and I do not know his GPL paper
>> status.
>>
>> 1. his patchs: https://github.com/tumashu/ivy-posframe/commits?author=noctuid
>> 2. The length of his patchs is  > 15 lines.
>
>Indeed, looking at those patches makes it sound like they're not quite
>trivial enough.
>
>I've also sometimes found it difficult to get in touch with some people.
>Filing an issue in their repository is an alternative way to contact
>them (which I have never tried, tho, because I prefer to keep my github
>use to a minimum).
>
>> 2.  his patchs are rewrite ivy.el and swiper.el's exist functions, so many
>> code of his patch come from  ivy.el and swiper.el,  ivy.el and swiper.el are
>> gnu-elpa packages.
>
>Maybe if you decompose his patches into "copy code from gnu-elpa" (his
>copyright doesn't apply to this) and then "modify that new code"
>(copyright does apply to that), the end result is simple enough to pass
>the "15 lines or so" test.

In his patch, I think using code from ivy.el and swiper.el is a normal thing,
for ivy-posframe-swiper-avy  is  just posframe version ivy-swiper-avy
 and ivy-posframe-avy  is posframe version ivy-avy,

If I were him, I will do same thing :-)  because ivy-posframe is a melpa
package at that time,  no need consider gpl paper. :-)