Re: Standardizing more key bindings?

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Standardizing more key bindings?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 08:08:38 +0200

Le mar. 29 sept. 2020 à 23:58, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> a écrit :

> On 27.09.2020 12:31, Thibaut Verron wrote:
> > For the REPL example, I guess it should be possible to split basic
> > functionality into some well-defined functions, and let packages
> > assign those functions? Like a comint-create-process-function, a
> > comint-send-region-function, a comint-send-buffer-function, etc.
>
> I applaud this initiative, but one of the steps would be to define
> common bindings to use in all "inferior" (REPL) modes, and that is
> likely to conflict with existing bindings.

It doesn't have to be in the global-map, it could be a minor mode
activated by those major-modes or users that want it.
And the keymap doesn't even have to be populated by default, I guess.

If python.el is refactored to use a new proc-send-buffer command, they
can still bind C-c C-c to that in python-mode-map, but a user who
prefers to use C-c C-b in all modes can bind C-c C-b in proc-mode-map.

Minor clarification: I'm not talking about the process buffers
themselves, but the normal edition buffers for the corresponding
language. E.g. emacs-lisp buffers, not IELM.