RE: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: arthur miller
Subject: RE: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 02:58:28 +0000

"> Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com> writes:
>> It would be more convenient, if an image was represented as elisp data
>> instead of C data.
> :-) I don't think you have thought well about it;

Why would you say that?"

Because of the other things you wrote before that citate about drawing images in external process. You have expressed your sentiments about year 2020, efficiency and external processes a day or two ago, and I read similar reasoning here.

If all you wish is just to display an image, sure you can do that with external application, but if you would like to perform something interesting with images, or display something many images, the performance would drop quite fast.

Since you refer to drawing images and mention image data, I assumed you are talking about real image data, i.e. pixels, not handles to lisp objects. With other words I thought you would like to use Lisp to do something interesting as processing images in Emacs on pixel level. When people mention image data that is usually what they mean. But assumptions are always fault on the one that assumes, so I apologize for that.

Otherwise, you could surely easily integrate netpbm, image/openmagic or even libgd (via python or perl wrapper) into Emacs via pure lisp and processes. I don't see what's the problem if that is what you wish.