Re: Make regexp handling more regular

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Make regexp handling more regular
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 12:17:12 -0500

> Naming is, of course, the most difficult problem here.

I agree that it might be worth looking at what other languages do.
But we could also just follow "traditional regexp" libraries's
suggestions for naming and go with something like:

    (re-match  REGEXP &optional OBJECT START END)
    (re-search REGEXP &optional OBJECT START END)

[ the first being like `looking-at` (i.e. an "anchored" match).  ]

I'd also suggest to make those functions accept other arguments than
strings for REGEXP, i.e. to make them into generic functions.

        Stefan