Re: NonGNU ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2020 08:33:44 -0500

>> The repository is at ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/emacs/nongnu.git
> This SSH address does not work here because it requires authentication.

Indeed, that's the URL to use if you want write access.
For read-only access you have to use:

> git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/nongnu.git

;-)

>> and the archive is currently at https://elpa.gnu.org/nongnu/
> Is there a plan to include this package archive by default in a future
> version of Emacs?

Yes (tho with a slightly different URL with `elpa.nongnu.org`).

> If so, then I have a potential feature once we have a few language modes
> in NonGNU ELPA (I see there's already Markdown and OCaml): When you open
> a file with ".md" extension for the first time, Emacs will ask whether
> you want to install markdown-mode from NonGNU ELPA, instead of opening
> the Markdown file in fundamental-mode.  Does this make sense?

We already have that for those packages in GNU ELPA if you install the
`gnu-elpa` package (which I still hope we'll be able to bundle within
the tarball of Emacs-28).
We could easily extend it to the NonGNU archive, indeed.

        Stefan