Re: Sporadic build warning

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Sporadic build warning
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:31:29 +0100

Gregory Heytings via "Emacs development discussions."
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> While improving Lars' "emake" script, I realized that building Emacs
> from a clean copy of master produces a sporadic warning.  The warning
> is "Grammar in python.el contains 4 shift/reduce conflicts", and it is
> produced while compiling cedet/semantic/wisent/python.el.  But it is,
> curiously, not always produced: I just did a "make -j 4" ten times,
> and it was produced eight times.

Yes, there is code to inhibit that warning (when it's the expected
number of shift/reduce conflicts), but there's some ordering subtlety
that I've never taken the time to figure out.  That is, when saying
"make -jX", files are sometimes compiled in an order that makes the
warning appear, and sometimes not.

If somebody could figure out what's making this unstable, that'd be
appreciated.