Re: Script for compiling more quietly

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Script for compiling more quietly
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 19:49:42 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>,  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 17:53:42 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > In which case I don't understand why it is important to be accurate
> > with the actual number of cores.  You could just use 4 as the default.
>
> The default should be sensible, and the sensible default is "all the
> cores".  -j4 on a system with two cores would be slower than -j2.

How many people who regularly build Emacs have 2 cores?

And I don't think it's true that -j4 on such a system will be slower,
certainly not significantly slower.  I build my Emacs with -j8 on a
system with 4 cores all the time, and never saw any slowdown.

Anyway, it isn't worth an argument, so I will now bow out.