Re: make uninstall ?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: make uninstall ?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 23:23:47 -0800

> Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:
>
>> I use --prefix arg in configure to install into $HOME/.local. I keep two
>> worktrees - one for emacs-27 and one for master. To use one, I just do a
>> ‘make install’ inside that worktree. I keep both the builds ready so
>> install doesn’t take much time.
>
> But why not just call ~/src/emacs-27/src/emacs and ~/src/trunk/src/emacs
> (or whatever your file layout is) directly?  That's even faster.

Configure looks for parts of other packages in relative locations of the
standard install tree, so, if product B configure looks for (say)
'emacsclient' to know if Emacs is installed properly, it looks under
(IIRC) /usr/share. I believe there is an option to configure to add(?)
$HOME/.local to the list of standard install trees to look in.  So, if
you install a number of packages on your system, you probably want to
install them into a standard install tree rather the local build tree.
It makes standard usage easier because it is one variable rather than N
variables for each product build.

--
David Masterson