Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:44:48 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> AFAIK all the investigation that can be done has been done.  I don't
>> doubt that there will be issues to resolve, but I don't think we will
>> find them before we actually start doing it.
>
> We are being asked to "start doing it" right now in emacs-27.

No, in master, for the 28 release ("it" meaning bundling ada-mode and
maybe other ELPA packages in the release tarball).

> I'm sorry, but this is not a serious suggestion, given the state of
> the affairs and the number of issues for which we just think we know
> how to solve them. Like that pianist that knows how to play the piano,
> but has never tried.
>
> And what does it mean "start doing it", really?  We prepare a tarball
> only once we start a pretest, by which time it's too late to
> experiment with untested machinery.

Clearly we need to test this; I suggest we create a branch
feature/bundle-elpa, and do a practice tarball release on that branch.

We also need a place to document decisions, rationales, and process; I
suggest admin/bundle-elpa to start. We may migrate parts of that into
other documents later.

--
-- Stephe