Re: bug#30854: 27.0.50; Speeding up package.el startup

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: bug#30854: 27.0.50; Speeding up package.el startup
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 19:24:11 +0100

>>> I does: it processes the packages using the exact same code as
>>> `package-activate-all`, so it obeys `package-load-list` (at least last
>>> time I checked).
>>
>> Via   (package-activate (car elt)) ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> What is the workflow for the user to disable a package from loading?
>
> Set `package-load-list`.
Is it up to user to serialize this list to disk for next session or
is it somehow done on the user behalf? If user disabled a package, and
generated new autoloads, and then there were new packages installed in
site repository, how would Emacs know which are disabled and which are
just new ones? There would be need for some kind of list/info that a
package is disabled so it is not loaded a new when packages are
refreshed from the site archive.

>> Do you have any plan to implement this?
>
> Don't know what you're referring to.

My suggestion:

1. let's implement auto creation of quickstart file
(can we rename it to package-autoloads.el or something more
descriptive?) without user needing to take action.

2. turn quicstart into opt-out instead of opt-in so more users test it
and can repport if there are problems

3. add suppoort for site archive(s)

4. add support for blacklist so user can ensure Emacs is not re-enabling
packages from site archive just because the archive got updated

1. is probably trivial, since package.el already can do that. It
just needs to call package-quickstart-refresh from few more places.

2. as well

3. will need some extra code, mostly or only in startup.el

4. will need some extra code in package.el, maybe in startup.el too, not sure

Just a suggestion.