Re: Emacs as a word processor

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Emacs as a word processor
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 11:09:49 +0800

>> What about the UI developed by Prof. Kitchin [1]?
>> [1] https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref
>
> I don't have an opinion on its UI, but last time I checked, I found this
> package to have way too many dependencies (several of them literally
> not necessary).

I agree about the excessive dependencies. I was only referring to UI.

Specifically:

1. Incremental search across all the references by
   title/author/publisher/keywords
2. Support of org-links with proper exporting (i.e., org links to
   articles are replaced to \cite in LaTeX)
3. Auto-generating bibliography
4. Ability to insert links to non-org buffers (text style references in
   emails/text documents or even reference pdfs as email attachments)
5. Auto-retrieving meta-data from URL or DOI
6. Bibliography notes

> I think it would benefit from a bit of help in improving the code and
> the packaging.

For now, I am working some things that are not good enough for me in
org-ref. See github.com/yantar92/org-capture-ref.

I plan to work on reference management in org with distant aim to
integrate it into org core. It would be helpful if you open feature
request in org-mode mailing list listing the features you expect.

Best,
Ihor