Re: What is `image-compute-scaling-factor' for?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What is `image-compute-scaling-factor' for?
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 12:12:14 -0500

> something new.  None of the software I've been using does so.  You can set
> any default font size in Mozilla/Chrome/Opera without affecting image
> sizes, but if you do "zoom-in", then everything zooms in, text and images.

I suspect this is comparing apples and oranges: images in HTML pages are
inserted via elements that provide additional information about the
intended size of the image, whereas the current ELisp API has no
such information so all we have to go on is the pixel size of the image,
which is fundamentally insufficient to do a good job.

IOW we ought to fix the APIs so that inserting an image has to come with
either a scaling factor or some size info expressed in "char-cells" or
"inches" or "percent of screen size" or "percent of window size" or some
such entity.

        Stefan