Re: What's the line length limit in the Emacs codebase?

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: What's the line length limit in the Emacs codebase?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 12:09:17 +0100

Am Fr., 25. Dez. 2020 um 20:04 Uhr schrieb Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:

> > From: Philipp Stephani <p.stephani2@gmail.com>
> > Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 18:10:50 +0100
> > Cc: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> >
> > > Where did you see significant deviations from that standard?
> >
> > Everywhere? When I last counted there were more than 1900 files in the
> > codebase that have lines longer than 70 characters. In src/emacs.c
> > alone there are over 160 such lines.
>
> You are counting long strings and lines with long URLs?  Is that
> reasonable?

If you look at emacs.c, you'll see lots of lines that are not long
URLs etc., but e.g. comment blocks that could easily be reflowed, and
I was wondering why that didn't happen when these comments were
introduced.
Just to give some context, I became aware of this when editing various
parts of the Emacs codebase while having the fill column indicator
enabled. I then realized that large parts of the code seem to use an
80-column limit, while others seem to use a 70-column limit, and I was
wondering why that's the case.