Re: What's the line length limit in the Emacs codebase?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What's the line length limit in the Emacs codebase?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 11:30:59 -0500

>> > This seems overly complicated, and people are unlikely to follow
>> > complicated rules.
>> I don't think there is a need for a simplistic rule that is
>> strictly enforced.  Where have you seen such a need?
> Nowhere, it's more of a question.

It doesn't look like it.

> Line length is a typical bikeshedding problem that's best solved by
> picking a number and then sticking to it.

You do realize that this discussion you've started *is* bikeshedding, right?

We have picked a number and stuck to it, many many years ago.
That doesn't stop bikeshedding.  The only thing that stops bikeshedding
is to stop participating in the discussion.

You got the answer to your question, and you yourself admit that there
is no problem to solve.  So please let's stop here.

        Stefan