Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 17:08:23 -0500

>> But how serious is this need we're talking about?
>> I mean we can already easily implement those things in ELisp:
> Oh, sure.  But since this is a pure speed optimisation we're talking
> about, the Lisp solution would be slower than the (< (length foo) bar)
> in a significant number of cases, and we don't want that, do we?

Actually, AFAICT this all started from:

    (not (null (cdr deleted))) would avoid traversing the entire list,
    but it wouldn't be easier to read.

which doesn't actually demonstrate a need for "speed optimisation", but
rather a need to avoid extra work (which could lead to real performance
problems when the list is long), so the ELisp implementation seems to
fit the bill ("avoid traversing the entire list" while being "easier to
read").

        Stefan