Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 19:52:04 -0500

   >    (> (length foo) 10)
   >
   >    uselessly counts (max 0 (- (length foo) 10)) items (+/- off by one
   >    error?)
   >
   > There are more things in life than lists

   (elisp) Programming Tips

So we agree that Emacs has more types than lists.

   > ...  length on a char-table or a string is constant.

   We are not trying to solve non-issue here.

Did you check each case where length was used that it was actually on
a list?  If not, how can you possibly know that it is a non-issue?

   >    The bad code _is already_ in Emacs.
   >
   > Then that code should be fixed, it will be needed to be fixed anyway
   > -- a new function won't fix it magically.

   Yes.  But that code will not fix itself magically on its own.  Somebody
   will have to do it.  The new predicates address this need and will help
   the person to do it easily and without introducing bugs.

And broken code that does something stupid, will not get fixed by
length> or its equivalents.  If one wishes to actually fix code, one
cannot do so blindly..