Re: master 46c4bcd: Minor cleanup in doc.c

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 46c4bcd: Minor cleanup in doc.c
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 16:24:32 +0200

> branch: master
> commit 46c4bcd3927d47b1d694d80087041ef0c0112477
> Author: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Commit: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
>
>     Minor cleanup in doc.c
>
>     * src/doc.c (get_doc_string, Fdocumentation)
>     (Fdocumentation_property, store_function_docstring):
>     Minor cleanup.

Please don't make such changes.  There was nothing wrong with the
original code, so "cleanup" is not the right word to describe such
changes.  You just rewrote the same code in the C99 style.

We've decided to use C99 features and style in the new code (and even
that is not a mandatory policy), but we certainly didn't decide to
rewrite all of the Emacs C code in that style.  We do make similar
changes at times, but only when we make other changes in the same
functions.  When such changes are made on their own, they are like
changes in whitespace: they make the code history longer and messier,
but don't bring any real benefits.  They also change attribution of
the code's original author without any real change in the code itself.

So please try to avoid this kind of changes in the future, unless they
are part of some real change in the same function.  TIA.