Re: Improve `replace-regexp-in-string' ergonomics?

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: Improve `replace-regexp-in-string' ergonomics?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 02:33:03 -0500

> `replace-regexp-in-string' often leads to pretty awkward code.  I
> wonder whether we could improve it somehow.

That would be appreciated.  :)

> Here's a real life example:
>
> (defun org-babel-js-read (results)
> [...]
>        (org-babel-read
>         (concat "'"
>                 (replace-regexp-in-string
>                  "\\[" "(" (replace-regexp-in-string
>                             "\\]" ")" (replace-regexp-in-string
>                                        ",[[:space:]]" " "
>                                      (replace-regexp-in-string
>                                       "'" "\"" results))))))
>
> That's kinda hard to read, but variations on this is pretty common.
> When you have one `replace-regexp-in-string', you often have another.
>
> We introduced `thread-last' in 2014, and there seems to be one (1) place
> in the Emacs code base, so I guess that didn't take off, but rewriting
> with that,

It doesn't seem that `thread-last' is very popular among Elispers, but
more among Clojurists (e.g. it's also implemented in dash.el as `->>').
But I've found it very useful in some cases, and I'm using `thread-last'
more often, trying to avoid adding dependencies on dash.el unless
necessary.

> we get:
>
>        (org-babel-read
>         (concat "'"
>               (thread-last
>                 results
>                 (replace-regexp-in-string "'" "\"")
>                 (replace-regexp-in-string ",[[:space:]]" " ")
>                 (replace-regexp-in-string "\\]" ")")
>                   (replace-regexp-in-string "\\[" "("))))
>
> Which is somewhat more readable (but note that this totally breaks
> down if you want to mix in LITERAL etc). ... The length of the name of
> this common function is itself offputting.

Agreed, the name seems too long, and the function's signature is awkward
(I always have to check the argument list when I use it).  Most of the
time, I don't want to replace with automatic case matching, nor do I
want to substitute the original matched text, so I have to add the
FIXEDCASE argument, and then carefully re-read the docstring for LITERAL
and decide whether I need it, too.

The SUBEXP argument, I'm not so sure about.  Having it at the end would
break threading.  Having it after the replacement would mean having a
"nil" much of the time, which wouldn't be as pretty.  I suppose the
third argument could be either a SUBEXP or the string, and if a SUBEXP,
an optional fourth argument could be the string?  But since these are
likely called often and in loops, I suppose that might be undesirable.

> But I wonder whether we should consider renaming the function to
> something more palatable, and since we have `string-replace', why not
> `regexp-replace'?

Sounds good to me.  (Since it's also string-related, a
`string-replace-regexp' alias might be warranted, but I don't want to
get too bikesheddy now.)

>        (org-babel-read
>         (concat "'"
>               (thread-last
>                 results
>                 (regexp-replace "'" "\"")
>                 (regexp-replace ",[[:space:]]" " ")
>                 (regexp-replace "\\]" ")")
>                   (regexp-replace "\\[" "("))))
>
> We could also consider making `regexp-replace' take a series of pairs,
> since this is so common.  Like:
>
>        (org-babel-read
>         (concat "'"
>               (regexp-replace "'" "\""
>                               ",[[:space:]]" " "
>                               "\\]" ")"
>                               "\\[" "("
>                               results)))
>
> Or some variation thereupon with some more ()s to group pairs.

It is common, but IMHO, it would be better to use a separate function
for that case, e.g. maybe `regexp-replace-pairs'.  (Alternatively,
`pcase-dolist' makes it easy to call a function in a loop with paired
arguments, so maybe it's not really needed.)

> The most popular way to deal with the awkwardness is to just give up and
> go all imperative:
>
> (defun authors-canonical-author-name (author file pos)
> [...]
>   (when author
>     (setq author (replace-regexp-in-string "[ \t]*[(<].*$" "" author))
>     (setq author (replace-regexp-in-string "\\`[ \t]+" "" author))
>     (setq author (replace-regexp-in-string "[ \t]+$" "" author))
>     (setq author (replace-regexp-in-string "[ \t]+" " " author))
>
> Which leads me to my other point -- about a quarter of the usages of the
> function in Emacs core has "" as the replacement, so perhaps that should
> have its own function?  `regexp-remove'?

IMHO, I'd lean toward not adding this unless it's really needed, but I
won't opine too strongly on it.