Re: A read-based grep-like for symbols (el-search?) (was Do shorthands b

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: A read-based grep-like for symbols (el-search?) (was Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master))
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 00:03:44 +0100

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 11:58 PM Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> wrote:

> > Yes, yes, that's basically what happens with Common Lisp, because things
> > are separated by `:`.  And in many other languages as you say.
> > Unfortunately, it's not 100% clean in Elisp because it relies on
> > convention, not syntax.

> It seems very easy to enforce a syntax for this:

It also very easily breaks one of the main use cases for this
feature: to import s.el, dash.el, f.el and its user libraries with
minimal changes to them.

I've said this before, I prefer Common Lisp packages as a namespacing
system,too  but not only are they unsuitable for the above task, but
they are very negatively regarded within groups of vocal Emacs users
(misunderstood, in my personal opinion).  They have been proposed many
times here, without any success.  There are even Elisp implementations for
them, I think, search in your favourite search engine.

João