Re: Emacs master: different (ugly) font in org-mode

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Re: Emacs master: different (ugly) font in org-mode
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 07:47:13 +0300

On 2021-10-01, 23:40 +0200, Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> wrote:

> I use JetBrains Mono font in Emacs and in today build from master, the
> Org documents display a different ugly (in my opinion) font. See the
> fields
>
> #+language:
> #+include:
>
> #+begin_quote
> #+end_quote
>
> in test.org-emacs29-01oct2021.png attached.
>
> With the build I did a month ago *all* is rendered with the same font,
> just the color changes. See the attached
> test.org-emacs28-02sep2021.png.
>
> If this is not a bug, How can I restore the previous behavior?
>
> In my init file I have:
>
> (set-frame-font "JetBrains Mono-11" nil t)
>
> (setq default-frame-alist
>       '(
>         (width . 115) ; character
>         (height . 49) ; lines
>         ;;(fullscreen . fullheight)
>         ;;(left . (- 0)); pixel
>         ;;(top  . (+ 0)); pixel
>         (left . 840); pixel
>         (top  .   0); pixel
>         (font . "JetBrains Mono-11") ; font
>         ))

Hello Angelo,

This must be because in Org 9.5 those constructs inherit from the
'variable-pitch' face.  The idea behind that is to make the buffer
preserve spacing sensitive elements while using M-x variable-pitch-mode.

Please try using something like this:

    (set-face-attribute 'fixed-pitch nil
                        :family (face-attribute 'default :family)
                        :height (face-attribute 'default :height))

All the best,
Protesilaos

--
Protesilaos Stavrou