Re: A read-based grep-like for symbols (el-search?) (was Do shorthands b

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: A read-based grep-like for symbols (el-search?) (was Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master))
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 09:03:37 +0000

The objections raised in this discussion are not only about grep.

But in this thread, we're discussing a grep-like, so please don't derail it with the same points rebutted over and over.

You started a subthread to discuss possible solutions from the point of view of grep, which is fine, but it is IMO important to not forget that the fact that shorthands break grep is not the only problem, and perhaps even not the most important one.

They are also about tag systems (that can do more complex operations than grep on source files), and about the problem of code readability for Elisp programmers. All of a sudden symbols can silently be transformed by 'read' without any clear indication that such a transformation takes place.

I'm getting a bit tired of stressing that things with no "clear indication" are what higher level-languages are about: anonymous functions, macros, etc abstraction in general. Namespaces are also that: you may not like them but they exist everywhere else for a reason.

AFAIK, no other language use a shorthand-like approach to implement namespaces. That's perhaps not without a reason.