Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 12:27:31 +0300

> From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
> Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 21:35:36 -0400
>
> On 9/30/2021 2:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Barring any unexpected calamities, the first pretest of Emacs 28 will
> > be produced from this branch in a few weeks' time.
>
> I apologize in advance if this has already been answered somewhere, but I'm
> curious how building from a pretest tarball will work for people who want to
> test native compilation.  Release tarballs always contain *.elc files, which
> seem to inhibit the creation of the preloaded *.eln files.
>
> I had assumed that commit 90655e4bc0 was intended to deal with this, but I'm
> not
> able to see how it will work.

Good question.  That commit was indeed supposed to deal with this, but
I didn't yet have time to actually test it with a sample tarball, so
it could include bugs (I'm not too proficient with Make wizardry, and
the problem was not trivial to fix).  If you have time to produce a
tarball from the emacs-28 branch (the instructions are in
admin/make-tarball.txt) and then try building it, perhaps you could
test this and report any problems.  If not, I will get to that soon
enough.

The way it's supposed to work is that a special rule added in that
commit to src/Makefile.in should be triggered by the fact that the
native-lisp directory is missing in the build tree.  That special rule
is supposed to build the preloaded *.eln files (and only those), and
then re-dump Emacs.