Re: input-pending-p after make-frame-visible

From: Aaron Jensen
Subject: Re: input-pending-p after make-frame-visible
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 16:55:50 -0400

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 3:33 PM Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know why showing a mini-buffer only child frame would
> trigger a help event? It doesn't when I first start emacs, but if I
> click on the echo area once, it will do it from then on out. I'll see
> if I can narrow in a repro.

Ok, here is a repro:

emacs -Q

Eval:

(defvar mini-frame-frame nil)

(defun repro ()
  (interactive)
  (setq mini-frame-frame
        (or mini-frame-frame
            (make-frame `((parent-frame . ,(selected-frame))))))
  (message "input-pending-p before: %S" (input-pending-p))
  (make-frame-visible mini-frame-frame)
  (message "input-pending-p after:  %S" (input-pending-p))
  (make-frame-invisible mini-frame-frame))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-x") 'repro)

Then:

Switch to messages buffer
C-x C-x
Focus the original frame
C-x C-x

Note that input-pending-p remains nil

Click the echo area

C-x C-x

Note that input-pending-p is t after showing. You have to focus the
original frame each time, but it is consistent after clicking