Re: "Raw" string literals for elisp

From: Daniel Brooks
Subject: Re: "Raw" string literals for elisp
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 17:36:45 -0700

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> "Use any delimiters you like" has a major problem: most of them can't
> be displayed on Linux ttys.
>
> Indeed, using any non-ASCII characters in source files can have some
> problems, which are very easy to avoid.  We should not give syntactic
> roles to them.

We should be improving the terminal then, rather than constraining
everything to the lowest common denominator. Unicode exists for an
important accessibility reason, even if some of it is frivolous
(emoji). Limiting Emacs source code to English and ASCII will ultimately
only limit the acceptibility of Emacs rather than improve it.

For example, if someone contributes a mode it will normally be accepted
as–is. But if they write the that mode using Japanese characters, would we
turn them away? I think that we should not.

db48x