Re: emacs.pdmp not always rebuilt

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs.pdmp not always rebuilt
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 15:50:16 +0300

> Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 08:57:04 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: larsi@gnus.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >> This is because of dcf9cd47ae.  Patch attached, which will hopefully
> >> fix the other silent failures you experience.
> >
> > Thanks, but why condition that on batch mode?  Does the problem happen
> > in any batch-mode invocation, and if so, why?
>
> When Emacs has been built, the problem does not seem to exist anymore.
> FWIW, I'm not sure it makes sense to call substitute-command-keys there,
> even in non-batch mode, but it should probably be okay to limit the scope
> of the fix to something narrower.  Updated patch attached, this time
> against the current trunk.

But what is the underlying problem?  Is it perhaps that
substitute-command-keys is defined in help.el, and help.el is loaded
by loadup only after simple.el?  If so, I think there could be a
better solution to this: either change the order of loading, or simply
test if substitute-command-keys is fboundp, and avoid using it if not.