Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 09:11:35 -0400

On 10/4/2021 7:37 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
No, they weren't in the tarball because when I built emacs prior to running
make-dist, I didn't specify --with-native-compilation.  Currently
lisp/Makefile.in has

ifneq ($(HAVE_NATIVE_COMP),yes)
compile-targets: $(filter-out ./emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.elc,$(filter-out
./emacs-lisp/comp.elc,$(TARGETS)))

That seems wrong to me.

Why do you think it's wrong?  The comment before it explains the
reason:

   # TARGETS is set dynamically in the recursive call from 'compile-main'.
   # Do not build comp.el unless necessary not to exceed max-specpdl-size and
   # max-lisp-eval-depth in normal builds.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the comment, but if byte-compiling comp.el and comp-cstr.el causes max-specpdl-size and max-lisp-eval-depth to be exceeded, isn't that a problem for builds with native compilation that needs to be fixed?

If I'm wrong, that's fine, but then it means that the instructions for making a tarball have to be changed to ensure that those two files get byte-compiled for the tarball.

Ken