RE: [External] : Automatic face setting based on contrast?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Automatic face setting based on contrast?
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 23:00:23 +0000

>   > I made this point in the above bug report, but there is no way to
>   > style Emacs with 25-50 face definitions.  It is very hard to put an
>   > exact number on this, as e.g. some faces are inherited and
>   > therefore
>   > more important, but realistically speaking you need at least twice
>   > that to have a somewhat decent coverage.
>
> Is this something that could be fixed, in principle?  Could a theme
> specify some faces manually, and then Emacs would adjust various other
> faces automatically so as to contrast with some of those?

That would certainly be a welcome feature to add, so
that any theme that wanted to make use of it could.
It's a very good idea.

However, I don't think that themes should be thought
to be deficient if they don't predefine faces.

IMHO, it's fine for a theme to not define any faces,
just as it's fine for a theme to not set any variable
values.  And it's fine for a theme to define some
faces or variables but not others.

And it's fine for a theme to define 8 million faces
and variables, including - or not - faces and vars
defined by emacs -Q.