Re: 2a73673 Change how thread-first/thread-last indent the first argumen

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: 2a73673 Change how thread-first/thread-last indent the first argument
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 06:32:49 -0500

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 5:27 AM Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> wrote:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > I don't really have much of an opinion here -- but the old indentation
> > looks like a bug to me.  If the thread-first/last community disagrees
> > with this, I'm open to reverting the patch.  Does anybody else have an
> > opinion here?
>
> I don't have a strong opinion, but I'm personally not too concerned
> about some churn given that "git blame" has an option to ignore
> whitespace changes.  (Magit uses that flag by default, and if I'm not
> mistaken VC does too.)

FWIW, the burden for me comes when I review changes in Magit before
committing: even whitespace-change-only hunks have to be examined and
discarded.

> As for aggressive-indent, it does sound like a somewhat unusual
> use-case.  I only re-indent code specifically when it makes sense.
> When looking over my diff before committing, I usually double-check to
> see that I'm not accidentally doing some random re-indenting unless
> I'm also changing those lines, or otherwise have some specific reason
> to do it (for example, if it substantially improves readability).

When editing other projects, I may disable aggressive-indent-mode if
it's causing too much churn.  Regardless, I review changes in Magit,
and if there are indentation fixes to be made, I commit them
separately from the changes I'm making (so if the changes need to be
reverted later, the whitespace fixes remain).

I generally recommend using aggressive-indent-mode for Elisp projects,
because IME (limited compared to that of others present here, of
course), patches submitted by contributors who don't use it very often
have incorrectly indented forms (sometimes subtly so, only off by a
character, which can go unnoticed until much later, or which can be
obscured depending on whether tabs have snuck in).  And when I'm
coding, it saves me from having to think about whether code is
indented correctly, having to manually reindent forms after minor
changes, etc.  It just DTRT so the code is always indented correctly,
which is a relief.