eshell/wget: a minimalistic wget for eshell

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: eshell/wget: a minimalistic wget for eshell
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 13:11:51 -0300

Hi all (and John Wiegley),

I wrote a function eshell/wget - or eshell/fakewget - that uses
url-retrieve-synchronously to download files from the internets.
It is here (and eev is in ELPA):

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev-plinks.el
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev-plinks.el.html#find-urlretrieve

I don't recommend using it for big files because it doesn't output any
progress reports until it finishes. I wrote it for a workshop that
will have several participants who are Windows users who have never
used a terminal in their lives - see this thread:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2021-10/msg00037.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2021-10/threads.html#00037

but I think that it may be useful in other situations, too.

I don't know how to advertise it. I looked for an index of
user-written eshell extensions and I only found this:

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EshellExtensions

and I thought that it would be a good idea to announce it here first -
and ask for advice.

  Cheers =),
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/#eev