Re: character sets as they relate to “Raw” string literals for elisp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: character sets as they relate to “Raw” string literals for elisp
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 09:54:50 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: juri@linkov.net, db48x@db48x.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>       monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, yuri.v.khan@gmail.com
> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 16:54:16 -0400
>
>   >      As a last resort, if you had buffers with content which were not
>   >   associated with any files, or if the autosave was not recent enough to
>   >   have recorded important changes, you can use the ‘etc/emacs-buffer.gdb’
>   >   script with GDB (the GNU Debugger) to retrieve them from a core
>   >   dump–provided that a core dump was saved, and that the Emacs executable
>
> How exactly did you obtain that text?  That ought to be an em-dash,
> written in Texinfo source as `---'.

The original text used '--', which produced en-dash instead.  (Stefan
fixed that since then.)

> Normally Texinfo represents an em-dash in ASCII output with two
> dashes, not just one.  It would be `...from a core dump-–provided
> that a core dump...'

That has changed, since we nowadays by default use UTF-8 encoding in
our Info manuals.  With that, '---' produces the Unicode em-dash
character, displayed as a wide dash, and '--' produces a Unicode
en-dash character, displayed as somewhat more narrow dash (but still
wider than the ASCII dash).