Re: master 4cc4344: ; Clarify and simplify time-stamp comments

From: Stephen Gildea
Subject: Re: master 4cc4344: ; Clarify and simplify time-stamp comments
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 20:41:03 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

>   The main idea behind this patch (which no longer applies) is that we
>   could rewrite `time-stamp-string-preprocess' to just use `format-spec'.
>   I vaguely remember there being some corner case that `format-spec'
>   didn't support yet, but you've simplified the time-spec syntax a bit
>   meanwhile, so perhaps it's possible now.
>
>   Anyway, I'm just including the patch below -- perhaps it can be used for
>   inspiration, but if not, just disregard it.

The spec of time-stamp-format is indeed somewhat complicated, mostly
for backward compatibility.  (Compatibility is important in time-stamp
because files can specify old formats in local variables.)  I plan to
simplify the format still further, after a suitable transition time.

I will keep your patch and use it for inspiration on my next pass
through time-stamp-string-preprocess.  Thank you for your attention to
simplifying time-stamp.

 < Stephen