Re: XInput 2 support

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: XInput 2 support
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 11:09:16 +0100

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 01:37:13PM +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> I hacked up support for handling XInput 2 events, though it hasn't
> undergone any serious testing yet.
>
> So the only advantage of this code over the existing Core Input code as
> of present would be not relying on a fragile environment variable
> (GDK_CORE_DEVICE_EVENTS) to work properly in GTK 3 builds.  Call me
> paranoid, but this variable reeks of something that the GTK developers
> will remove at some point in the future.  (AFAIK, it's already been
> removed in GTK 4).
>
> However, it paves the way for future support of high-resolution
> scrollwheels, multi-touch trackpad support, and much more.
>
> Would this support be worth installing?  Thanks.

I think it's definitely worth it. I can't speak much about your code,
though: I only delved into the X input code enough to understand that
it could never directly support multitouch and pixel-scrolling without
adding XInput2 support and that I wasn't confident enough to do that
myself.
--
Alan Third