Re: DPS font backend uses the wrong font

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: DPS font backend uses the wrong font
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 18:32:56 +0100

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 09:20:43PM +0800, Po Lu wrote:

> As of 2028df78, font backends are required to use s->font instead of
> s->face->font, even in the NS port, because s->face is now set to mouse
> face by redisplay independently of terminal specific code.
>
> Every font backend except for nsfont already does that, so it would make
> sense to change nsfont to do it correctly as well.  But is there
> something I'm missing here?
>
> IOW, I'm suggesting to change the following snippet of nsfont_draw:
>
>   font = (struct nsfont_info *)s->face->font;
>   if (font == NULL)
>     font = (struct nsfont_info *)FRAME_FONT (s->f);

>   font = (struct nsfont_info *)s->font;
>   if (font == NULL)
>     font = (struct nsfont_info *)FRAME_FONT (s->f);

Feel free to do whatever is required in nsfont.m, it's been basically
unmaintained for a decade or so afaict. My changes were simply to fix
crashes and remove macOS code that's no longer used (macOS builds use
macfont.m).

We really need someone to update nsfont to actually support things
like bold and italics and ideally use harfbuzz, but I've really
struggled with it, and I don't think anyone actually uses GNUstep
Emacs.
--
Alan Third