Re: input-pending-p after make-frame-visible

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: input-pending-p after make-frame-visible
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 22:04:04 +0300

> From: Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 14:55:05 -0400
> Cc: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>,
>       Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>       YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp>
>
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 2:24 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > > AFAICT kbd_buffer_get_event calls `readable_events (0)' only, which
> > > will disregard any of the code I changed or added. The
> > > READABLE_EVENTS_FILTER_EVENTS must be set for it to come into play.
> > > Only input-pending-p sets that flag AFAICT.
> >
> > I don't see how this helps: who will remember that no caller of
> > readable_events can ever use that flag without invoking this behavior
> > whose justification we don't understand?
>
> Which behavior are you saying the justification is not understood? If
> it's the behavior I introduced, it should be understood as it is
> understandable.

We are mis-communicating.  What bothers me is that in some more or
less distant future someone will find a good reason to call
readable_events with that flag from some other place, not realizing
that doing so will get some of the events filtered out under some
subtle conditions.  Thus, the fact that this flag has currently just
one user, which just happens to be the function whose behavior you are
interested to change, doesn't help, because we'd still have a ticking
maintenance bomb.