Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package proposal: git-modes

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package proposal: git-modes
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 19:13:08 -0700

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

>> That's a shame.  But how big is per code?
>> Would it be feasible to write new code to replace that code?
>
> It's not a of code: gitconfig-mode: 137, gitignore-mode: 61,
> gitattributes-mode 232 lines, all including headers.  IMO it
> would make sense to re-implement them.
>
> gitignore-mode is completely trivial, basically just font-lock keywords.

Couldn't .gitignore-mode basically just be replaced with
`conf-unix-mode'?  I have gitignore-mode running locally, but I'm not
sure the syntax highlighting it does have is very helpful.  Why
highlight "/" in "foo/bar", for example?

This would be a trivial addition to auto-mode-alist in emacs-28, if
that's something we want to do.

> gitconfig-mode has more font-lock keywords plus some indentation code,
>   which I personally find more annoying than helpful.

By default, we use `conf-mode' for these files, which already looks
pretty good to my eyes.  Is gitconfig-mode much better?

> gitattributes-mode is more complex, also including support for eldoc and
>   some navigation commands.  The good news is that in this case we might
>   actually be able to get all the required copyright assignments.

That's good news, indeed.