Re: [RFC] Option to kill `emacs --daemon' when closing the last client f

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: [RFC] Option to kill `emacs --daemon' when closing the last client frame
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 13:38:43 -0700

Cc: me@xenu.pl, emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 19:42:23 -0700

I hope an example will illustrate what I mean[1]. I start with two
terminals open, A and B[2]. In terminal A, I run `emacs -nw foo.txt'. In
terminal B, I run `emacsclient -nw -c bar.txt'. Now, suppose I want to
stop editing foo.txt in terminal A and go back to doing something else.
I'd type `C-x C-c', but then my emacsclient in terminal B will close too.

No, it should say the session has client, and ask for confirmation.

You also have C-z to temporarily suspend the session on A.

Right. I glossed over those parts in an attempt to keep my explanation concise.

This was just an example to show how `emacsclient --alternate-editor=emacs' requires the initial `emacs' process to live as long as all the other clients. This isn't a bug, just an illustration of a case where I prefer the way `emacs --daemon' works.

However, using the daemon configuration with ALTERNATE_EDITOR="", I
could run `emacsclient -nw -c ...' in each terminal. Then when I type
`C-x C-c' in terminal A, it only kills that client, not the daemon
process. I can then continue to edit in terminal B without interruption.

Of course, this isn't a bug, it's just how emacs and emacsclient work
together when not using `emacs --daemon'. It just turned out to be
inconvenient for how I use Emacs, so I've moved to using `emacs
--daemon' instead.

Which is exactly why we provided the daemon mode, so I see no problem
here, I see a solution for a particular class of use patterns.

Agreed. There's nothing *wrong* with this behavior per se; I was just trying to explain why I prefer how `emacs --daemon' works for my use pattern.

- Jim