Re: Future of display engine and lines

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: Future of display engine and lines
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:20:35 +0200

Le lundi 25 octobre 2021, 14:05:29 CEST Eli Zaretskii a écrit :
> > From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> > Cc: larsi@gnus.org, galex-713@galex-713.eu, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 22:18:40 -0400
> >
> >   >    aaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbb ccccccc    xxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx
> >   >    dddddddd eeeeeeee fffffff ggg    yyyyyy yyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyy
> >   >    hhhhhhhh iiiiiiiiii jjjj kkkk    zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz zzzz
> >   >
> >   > where buffer position of the first "xxx" follows the buffer
> >   > position
> >   > of the last "kkkk"?
> >
> > That's exactly what I had in mind.  But we should not assume that xxx
> > are consecutive with kkkk.  We could be looking at the middle,
> > vertically, of the two columns; their top and bottom could be
> > off-screen.
>
> Why would that make sense?  You will be unable to read the text
> without scrolling the window.

In the way you imagine it, that is directly unpractical for reading, but
practical for the one usage that I re-suggested initially: enabling a
WYSIWYG text processor inside emacs.  You may want to visualize pages
bigger than what fits on your screen, because it will be rendered on other,
bigger screen, or unzoomed, or printed.

In a way you may not be imagining: both column contents could be
unrelated, such as on stallman.org, and yet the most right column would be
considered to be “after” the most left column, there, it wouldn’t be
unpractical, because maybe you want to read only one column.