Re: Python and Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Python and Tramp
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:36:49 +0200

Hi Stefan,

> I think, when reading the python.el code, I'm bothered by 2 things:
> - the presence of Tramp code, of course.
> - the fact that I can't clearly see what is the intention of that code
>   because it is intermingled with Tramp code.

See my other message. Both shouldn't be needed.

> I suggest we start by changing
> `python-shell-calculate-process-environment` so it doesn't return the
> full environment, but only the entries that should be added to the
> environment.  This should make it possible to write it without any
> Tramp code.

Yes.

> Also we should split `python-shell-with-environment` into the Tramp and
> the non-Tramp case (there's very little overlap).  E.g. the code below
> has most of the Tramp-specific code confined to functions that have
> `tramp` in their name and which mostly (but not quite ;-( ) don't know
> about Python.

Could we start with your patch? That means, could you push it to master?
I would continue then with my proposals from the other message.

@Augusto: I don't write python code, so I haven't an idea what is
important. Could you pls send my a small remote test project, including
the settings you apply in your emacs, which I can use for my own tests?

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.