Re: Entering emojis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 21:21:06 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I don't really have any idea of what that would look like in an Emacs
>> context, though.  Perhaps something with transient.el?
>
> Rather an input method, I'd say.

I think you want to see how things look?  With an input method you'd
just end up with the result, but won't see the possibilities?

Say you want to insert a construction worker, then these are the

construction worker (👷🏻)
construction worker (👷🏼)
construction worker (👷🏽)
construction worker (👷🏾)
construction worker (👷🏿)
man construction worker  (👷‍♂️)
man construction worker: (👷🏿‍♂️)
man construction worker: (👷🏻‍♂️)
man construction worker: (👷🏽‍♂️)
man construction worker: (👷🏾‍♂️)
man construction worker: (👷🏼‍♂️)
woman construction worker  (👷‍♀️)
woman construction worker: (👷🏿‍♀️)
woman construction worker: (👷🏻‍♀️)
woman construction worker: (👷🏽‍♀️)
woman construction worker: (👷🏾‍♀️)
woman construction worker: (👷🏼‍♀️)

We could do an input method that's thing/gender/hue (when it's about a
person; other things have other possibilities), and after typing that
triplet, you end up with, for instance, 👷🏿‍♀️.  But I think that after
deciding on "thing", you probably want to see the 17 options you have,
and when you're narrowing down by gender or hue, you see the options
you're left with.

Can you do that with an input method?  I've only used fancy
input methods when trying to debug something, so perhaps this is
something you can do with input methods, but I assumed not.