Re: master f8fed41 2/3: image-dired: Improve XDG compliance

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master f8fed41 2/3: image-dired: Improve XDG compliance
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 16:45:04 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I proposed to have a couple of higher-level APIs that will hide
> system-dependent stuff, including hard-coded strings if some systems
> need that.  xdg.el will then be one layer lower, and application code
> will not call it directly.

OK, I think we agree that this would be a good thing.

The contentious point seems to be what we should do until we have such
a library.  I think that it is better to update hardcoded strings to
use xdg.el, since it will make the above idea easier to implement.

However, if we have a plan for a higher-level API in a reasonable
time-frame (for example, before Emacs 29 is released), then I am more
than happy to accept that we might as well wait with any such changes
until that work is done.