Re: Entering emojis

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 19:46:06 +0200

    Lars> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    >> Itʼs not a no-op: it modifies U+2640 or U+2642
    >>
    >> Iʼm not sure I understand the issue either: the base codepoint is
    >> U+1F46E, and emoji-zwj-sequences tells you what the sequences
    >> are. What else is needed?

    Lars> There's no VS-16 mixed up with these glyphs -- that a separate issue
    Lars> that I haven't even tried to understand yet.  :-)

If you want them to display correctly in Emacs youʼre going to have to
use the sequences in emoji-zwj-sequences.txt and emoji-sequences.txt

    Lars> But back to the people.  For instance:

    Lars> 1F3CC 1F3FB 200D 2640 FE0F ; RGI_Emoji_ZWJ_Sequence ; woman golfing:
    Lars> light skin tone # E4.0 [1] (🏌🏻‍♀️)

    Lars> (Oh, heh, that one even had a VS-16...)

Yes, because of the U+2640

    Lars> How am I supposed to go from GOLFER to that glyph?  From POLICE
OFFICER
    Lars> it's no problem getting to "woman police officer: light skin tone",
    Lars> because those use the same name in the UCS file and in the zwj file,
but
    Lars> GOLFING isn't the same as GOLFER.

    Lars> Are the names just informational, and I'm supposed to look this up
based
    Lars> on 🏌GOLFER being #x1F3CC?  So the first codepoint is what matters for
    Lars> determining the variants?

The field in emoji-zwj-sequences.txt is called 'descriptions', and I
think theyʼre not intended to be normative in any way, so probably
best to use the base codepoint.

Robert