Re: Entering emojis

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:14:15 +0200

Hey Lars,

>                      There's three commands now -- emoji-insert
> (graphical/category choosing), emoji-search (textual based on names) and
> emoli-list (one big buffer of emojis).

Great work on the emoji branch; looking forward to be able to reach 🤪
with "C-x 8 e s zany" instead of "C-x 8 RET one big M-DEL large" 🙌

My current UX for emoji browsing is C-x 8 RET *PATTERN; with
icomplete-vertical-mode, it feels pretty similar to your emoji-search
AFAICT.  One nifty thing about C-x 8 RET is that it shows the actual
characters next to the candidate completions; cf. read-char-by-name and
mule--ucs-names-affixation.

Would it make sense to do something similar with emoji-search?

(I've tried to tweak the call to completing-read in emoji--choose-emoji
to get something similar to read-char-by-name's annotations, but my
command over the completion machinery is as yet insufficient 😵‍💫)