Re: Merging release branch

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Merging release branch
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 22:29:01 +0200

>> That's what `git merge -s ours emacs-28` does (it marks the commit as
>> merged but without bringing any of the corresponding code changes).
>
> Oh, I see.  But what if there was some other commit in emacs-28 that
> that committer had forgotten to merge?  Then it would also be kept out
> of master?

Yup. In that case, you need to do two merges with different merge
strategies. That's what admin/gitmerge.el is for, and I think it's
pretty easy to use (but I'm biased).

> Your assumption here was that emacs-28 had already been merged, but I
> think people would be likely to forget.

For sure.

I agree that doing cherry-picks from 'master' to 'emacs-28' would be
easier for people, simply because they are familiar with it, but keeping
track of what has been cherry-picked and what not can be pretty tedious,
and git cannot help you much with that.

-David