Re: Merging release branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging release branch
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 09:19:15 +0200

> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, rgm@gnu.org, stefan@marxist.se, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 00:36:51 +0300
>
> >> By the author of the change, that's the point.
> > Btw, if this is what will make the situation better, we could merge ti
> > master immediately after pushing to the release branch, by the same
> > committer.
>
> We can try making it a rule.
>
> I think it has always been good form (esp. after making conflicting
> changes), but people are a little afraid on gitmerge.el.

I see no reason to be afraid of gitmerge.el.  If there are no
conflicts (and most of the time there aren't), it "just works".  If
there are conflicts, then their resolution is outside of gitmerge.el's
scope anyway.

I guess those people should try using gitmerge.el once or twice in
their local clones, to convince themselves that there's no real
problem here.