Re: Tweaking the output of `C-h b'

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Tweaking the output of `C-h b'
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 10:37:57 +0800

> Is the line necessary at all?  I think one line of spacing is okay
> instead.
>
> We could experiment with either bold or a different color for "key" and
> "binding" and different combination of blank space/no blank space and
> line/no line.
>
> (Can we please capitalize "Key" and "Binding" while we're at it?)

BTW, I'm not sure where to reply to this, but DOWN-POINTING SMALL RED
TRIANGLE is not a good character to use for the down arrows in the new
describe-bindings display.

For instance, it's usually provided by Color Emoji fonts.  Round orange
squares do not fit in nicely at all!  Is there any reason the pixmaps
used for the arrows in Custom buffers couldn't be used instead?

Secondly, it displays as a black square on Xft builds (which are still
relevant, as they're the only way to get anti-alised fonts on X without
Cairo.)

And thirdly, the glyph for this character has some odd stipple pattern
in Free Symbola, for those of us who don't want to use color fonts.

Finally, Emacs built with X11 Core Fonts is utterly incapable of
displaying that character on my system.