Re: master 6eeab90632: Don't accept whitespace or hex floats in rgbi: co

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 6eeab90632: Don't accept whitespace or hex floats in rgbi: colour specs
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 08:34:51 +0800

Mattias Engdegård <mattiase@acm.org> writes:

> It's bug#54263 -- sorry about the omission from the log message.

Thanks.

> So it might seem, but over-tolerant implementation is generally a
> mistake. It restricts compatibility in the other direction (what
> worked with Emacs won't work elsewhere)

AFAICT, there are no other implementations of such an rgbi color
specification (please correct me if I'm wrong.)

> restricts future changes and implementations, detects fewer user
> mistakes, and makes documentation and specifications less useful. It's
> not doing the user a service.

I don't think there's a chance that the user will type any of those by
mistake.  Besides, the documentation can always be amended, and that
function has no other specification.  So I disagree that it doesn't do
the user a service.